Safety in your overhead crane operation
Overhead cranes are a fast way to move and transport different loads in many industries. It consists in parallel runways with a travelling bridge. The hoist travels along the bridge and helps save time and money to handlers and companies.
Handling an overhead crane is quite an important job. This is why to save time and money, the overhead crane operator must be very careful in its use.
Add these tips to your overhead crane safety checklist. This way, you won’t forget to assure that everything works fine.
Overhead crane safety rules
1. Maintenance is important: make a crane inspection every time
Make sure that your hoist works fine. Its mandatory before using it, but if you are not currently using it, check it too. It will save you time and will make everyone safer.
2. Check that the crane hook has no obstacles
It may seem obvious, but your load will go through the air above your head. It is very important than no obstacle comes between it and the end of the runway.
3. The overhead crane operator and the rest of the employees must be aware
You are going to use the overhead crane, so make sure everybody in the workplace knows about it. Remember: the load moves above everyone’s head, so sometimes you don’t see it unless you look up.
4. Quick overhead crane safety tips while using it
- Do not get distracted by anything
- Do not swing the load
- Do not move your load with coworkers around the area
- Do not move any loads over people
5. Remember your overhead crane limits
The weight limit in the handling systems are there for a reason: safety. So do not push the limits and move the load limit that your overhead crane has.
6. Test your lifting equipment
At Airpes we know how important it is to check out your equipment. Testing is a safe way to push you lifting equipment and find out how it performs in any type of situation. Remember to test your overhead crane for your safety.